Power washer is something that has been around for a long period of time. When it comes to cleaning cars, sliding and other objects, a power washer has always been the favoured utility for doing so. This piece of equipment has made cleaning a lot more effective, easy and fun in the past. So if you too want to use it and see for yourself, there are some basics that you must be familiarised with. Here are some of them.
|PICTURE||Power Washer Model||FEATURES||PRICE||RATING 1-5|
|Kärcher K4 Full Control Home Pressure Washer||LED display trigger gun Home kit|
Extendable aluminium handle
The new stability foot
|Kärcher K4 Compact Home Water-Cooled Pressure Washer||Water-cooled motor|
Detergent suction tube
Draws water from a static water source
Quick connect system
|Kärcher K4 Full Control Pressure Washer||Extendable aluminium handle|
LED display trigger gun Home kit
The new stability foot
What is a Power Washer?
Basically, a power washer is a machine which is capable of cleaning all the varied types of surfaces with the help of water pressure, which can be powered by petrol or electricity. It is a mechanical device that is composed of the following components:
- Pressure hose
- Trigger gun
- Water pump
These are the main building blocks of this device, enabling it to remove all sorts of unwanted materials like mould, dust, mud, dirt and grime. The device is filled with water (usually hot water) and then projected from an outlet with huge pressure. This pressure causes the dirt to be removed, thus cleaning the surface. As you would expect, you can also alter the pressure according to your needs.
Types of Power Washer
You will find a lot of different pressure washer reviews in the market, all used for the same purpose – cleaning. A power washer is just another type of washer and one which is mainly of 2 different types:
- Electric Powered:
As the name suggests, electric powered washers utilise electricity as their main source of power. This kind of power washer is very simple to operate and also does not require too much maintenance. They are best used for decks, patios, small sized furniture and other small scale jobs. By comparison, they are lighter and quieter than other washers. Not only that, they do not have any major emissions. You can easily store them indoors due to their size.
- Petrol Powered:
The Different Parts
The main parts of a power or also called a jet washer that you will be able to see inside are as follows:
This is basically the place from which water can enter the device. It exists in the form of a hose which can connect the washer to the water source. There is also a filter inside the hose which separates the dust and debris from the water. After all, you would not want grime and mud in the water you use for cleaning.
Now the motor of a washer can be run with either electricity or gas depending on the type of the device. Both have their own set of advantages and disadvantages. It is up to you to decide which one suits you the best.
It is known as the heart of the power washer. It’s basic function is to draw water from the faucet and send it to the device for use. On doing so, the water is squirted out with a huge amount of pressure.
- Cleaning attachment:
This one depends on the type of surface you are planning to clean. You can either have a simple trigger or even a wand spray. It all depends on your preferences.
Tips on how to use them
- As far as the scenarios of using this device are concerned, you should probably use it in cleaning small decks, patios, for removing old paint and things like that. Different types of work require different levels of pressure.
- The level of pressure that you put on also depends on the type of surface you are going to clean. That includes both the topography of the surface as well as the material out of which it is made. It is different for concrete than it is for metal and so on.
- Also, when using a washer, make sure that you have checked the area you are going to wash. Always remove all other decorative items, loosely held objects, furniture or any other damage-prone object before going on with the cleaning process.
- Make sure that you test the pressure of your power washer somewhere else before using it on the place you want to. If you are a beginner, you will probably not have a good idea regarding this. Hence, it is always advisable to test before you try it out.
- When selecting the soap or detergent for cleaning, always pick one that is designed particularly for that washer. This may not seem significant, but it is – for both the device and the cleaning process in general.
- Do not ever spray the water directly onto a plant, an electric box or any other object. The force of the water squirted will be so high that it will probably cause permanent damage on that object.
Maintaining your washer
Power washers are extremely useful devices which make cleaning a lot easier than normal. But just like any other electrical device, they need some proper maintenance as well. This is necessary in order to get the maximum performance from your machine. So without further ado, here are some tips for properly maintaining your device:
- The first thing that you need to do in order to take care of your machine is to prevent. Prevent what you ask? Anything that can cause damage to your machine. The key to this is using your machine in a manner that is as safe as possible. Repairing is always an option but prevention is a far better thing to do.
- A power washer is also a machine after all. As such, it requires cleaning on a regular basis. The most important part of this phase is cleaning the spray wand. That is because the spray wand is an essential part of this device and one which it cannot do without. Causing it to get clogged blocks the flow of water from the end of the nozzle. Repairing it requires a lot of money, so make sure you maintain it well.
- Another thing that you must do without fail is to change the oil on a regular basis. You should probably do so at least once per annum. Make sure that the accumulated storage has reached a time period of 50 hours minimum before doing so. Also, use the oil which is recommended for your device and nothing else. It helps keep it alive for longer periods of time.
- You also need to do some engine maintenance to extend fully the life period of your device. Regular tuning ups can help a great deal in making your equipment function normally for longer periods of time. You should also make sure that not even a single droplet of water can reach the main engines. Brushing up the dirt inside the engine will also help a great deal.
- Lastly, you will also want to lubricate your device on a regular basis. Lubrication always helps because it causes the machine to work smoother. All the smaller parts get roughed up after sustained periods of usage. As such, it is necessary to remove this and get a bit of a slickness into the functioning of your washer.
Some Related Terms
When it comes to washers, there are certain related terms which you should probably know about. So here are some of those terms:
PSI (Pressure Per Square Inch): PSI is defined as the maximum level of pressure that can be delivered by a washer. These figures are usually very high when it comes to machines which run on gas. As a result, it should not be surprising to see power washers which are rated at 5000 PSI. Electric washers, however, are way smaller by comparison. They can get as low as 1200 PSI.
GPM (Gallons Per Minute): GPP refers to the total volume of water which is used up by the washer every minute. Higher the value of the PSI, higher is the amount of water used up by the washer. Hence, it is obviously higher for petrol powered machines compared to electric powered ones. As you can see, the GPM is an extremely important stat for a power washer.
So this is pretty much everything you will need to know about power washers. When it comes to cleaning, nothing beats them in terms of efficiency, ease and fun. If you too want to buy a power washer for yourself, make sure that you do the right amount of research before making your purchase. Read some online reviews or ask someone who knows about the power washer for advice. It is always better to go in prepared.